Sunday, December 27, 2009

I am amazed!........AGAIN


The 101-Year-Old Marathon Man
8:54pm UK, Saturday April 12, 2008

Natasha Muktarsingh, Sky reporter

Buster Martin, Britain's oldest worker, is set to break another record by competing in this year's London Marathon at the age of 101.

Buster enjoys a quick drag

And it will be cigarettes and a pint of bitter rather than health drinks and energy bars driving the remarkable record-breaker on.

His aim is to complete the 26-mile route in about 14 hours, supported by colleagues from Pimlico Plumbers in South London where he works three days a week cleaning vans.

Buster is running for the Rhys Daniels Trust - a charity which supports families with seriously ill children.

He said: "I was asked to do it and told about the charity and I said I'd have a go. I didn't say I would do it, but I'd have a go."

Plumber and boxing coach Samm Mullins has been helping Buster prepare for the race for the last three months. His programme comprises running three times a week and sparring practice in the boxing ring twice weekly.

Last month, Buster completed a half marathon in five hours and 15 minutes.

Mullins says: "He is amazing for his age and he's enjoyed the training. In fact, the only problem is slowing him down."

However, there are some parts of his lifestyle Buster has not changed in preparation for the Marathon.

He has been a smoker since the age of seven and will not give up regular trips to the pub for a few pints of bitter.

Buster does not drink water, so his trainers have arranged several stops along the Marathon route where a pint will be available.

Mullins says: "He has to take on some fluids - and bitter is all he will drink."

Buster has always led an active lifestyle. He officially retired at the age of 97 but went back to work three months later.

He said: "I was getting bored. I'm lucky I have my health and I can try things like the marathon. But I never make any promises because I take each day as it comes."

Buster is not alone in wanting to push the boundaries in old age. Katsuske Yanagisawa became the oldest man to reach the summit of Everest at the age of 71 last year.

And in 2004, George Brunstad successfully swam the English Channel at 70 years old while John Glenn became the oldest man to go into space as a 77-year-old in 1998.


SKYNEWS